September 9, 2008

The Best of Times, The Worst of Times

It's autumn. Contrary to the popular Christmas song, I believe the fall is the most wonderful time of the year. And while I LOVE Christmas, Thanksgiving holds it's own in our family. My mom makes everything special. She is an advocate of the Norman Rockwell way of life. It's not only about looking good with her, though. We MUST have fun.

This is a picture of my Grandpa Reneer. Oh, how I miss him. In the case that you are wondering, yes that is a bingo card. Mom made up this game a really long time ago called Turkey Bingo. She wraps up all these presents and stacks them just out of reach. Really, it looks like Christmas has come early! When you call "Bingo" you get to pick a present. Some of the gifts have a turkey in them or a turkey sticker on them somewhere. If you get a turkey, you get to "steal" another gift that you've been coveting in your sister's pile. You know the one that she's trying futilely to hide under her chair. This is the one time of the year that my ex came in handy. He ALWAYS got the turkeys and he always let me choose how he would "spend" the turkey. (It's good to remember the good times, too.) My brother-laws-can get quite obnoxious, but no one is more competitive than me when it comes to this game. We all kiss and make up in the end, though. It kind of makes you want to be part of my family, doesn't it?
This was 2004, we had just bought the house and Mom and Dad where living an apartment while their house was being finished. So, I got to host. I had fun being an amateur Martha Stewart, but Mom's shoes are HARD to fill. She always makes it look so easy. (I'm sitting here crying as I type. Calla just came in and asked if I needed a hug.) I'm kind of a neurotic control freak when I'm in charge of doing stuff like this. If I remember correctly, Brian (my ex) spent the day in bed puking. I think he was probably sick of me bossing him around. I never said I was perfect. This is Molly at age 3. She still missed her old house at this point. I loved this outfit from Target. Once she grew hair, she was the cutest thing ever. She's probably sitting here thinking, "My mom is a control freak. I hope I don't spill anything today."
My beautiful, blogging, coupon cutting, sister, Annie, sitting here with
her hubby Brian.Here's Joni, the Arlene of this trio of sisters (if you get that one, let me know). She's always the fashion icon at our gatherings, even in jeans and a tee. She drives a Ford-F350 with a gun rack in the back. Don't mess with this debutante.
.
I'm looking forward to the fall and winter with my kids, my family and friends, new and old.
.
9/11
Seven years ago today, we were eating leftover chili in our pajamas, with our eyes glued to the tele. Calla's soccer game got cancelled and Brian didn't have to go to work. I still can't go downtown without seeing a plane running into a building. That day was one of the worst days of my life. More foundations than those of the twin towers where obliterated that day.
smooch

6 comments:

Annie Shaw said...

Looking forward to this time of year too!!

And---just for the record---Nicky IS the most obnoxious Turkey Bingo player. :P

AND---I would like to note that I was 8 months pg in that photo...you have to mention things like that so others don't think that you always look like you have the Thanksgiving pumpkin stuffed up you shirt! lol


mmmm...now I need some Pecan Pie

Laurie and company said...

What fun memories! and Annie, I do believe that Nicky would be the most obnoxious turkey bingo player. in a good way. (wish we could choke her way)...love you Stickers.

what a poignant post from Ms. Stickers today! it's the new JFK question (where were you when JFK was assassinated?)...where were you and what were u doing on 9/11/01? thanks for sharing. chili sounds good

oephzdag...

Tory said...

Turkey Bingo sounds like fun. I have always loved the White Elephant gift exchanges and such. I love getting others good gifts. There was one church that we used to do this at and mom got stuck with a picture of Bill Clinton. Do you know that I saved that picture for the next year, and the bozo that brought it, go stuck with it? Not sure why I just brought that up, but you and Laurie's rememberances do that to me. ;) Sure looks like fun, and I am glad that you are taking time to count your blessings.

glphrpt (sounds like a "raspberry")

Nicky said...

Annie

Um, really, I didn't remember that you were 8 months pg there. What would that have made me? 4 or 5 months with Teige? Hmmm. You looked great. Did you get the joke about Arlene?

wv: did you know that you can keep hitting the "publish your comment" button until you get a wv that you like better. So I CHEAT, big stinkin' deal. I don't lie, though.

zvnxneo (among other important letter combinations, I see "neo". Makes me think of Keanu Reeves in The Matrix

smooch

Nicky said...

Nobody mentioned how pretty my table was.

Jodi said...

your table was pretty! lol
Carrie