October 31, 2008

Don't Drink the Koolaid

This was an interesting cycle outlined in a book I was flipping through today. The average age of most of the world's greatest civilizations has been about 200 years (There are many exceptions to this. China for one, who you will notice has stayed in bondage). Great nations rise and fall in this cycle:

*The people go from bondage to spiritual truth
*From spiritual truth to great courage
*From courage to liberty
*From liberty to abundance
*From abundance to selfishness
*From selfishness to complacency
*From complacency to apathy
*From apathy to dependence
*From dependence back again to bondage.

This book's graph showed that America was between complacency and apathy. I'm actually beginning to wonder if we don't more closely resemble the path between apathy to dependence. I think many Americans see the problems that face them on a day to day basis and want someone to hand these problems over to, but at the cost of what liberties? Just my simple thoughts and questions.

smooch

6 comments:

Tory said...

Very good observations! And, yes, I have thought some of that very thing myself. But, as has been pointed out several times...God is in Control! And, of course, there is always prayer, coffee, chocolate, and really good friends!

Hope you're doing well.

Hugs!

Sherry at the Zoo said...

Very thougth provoking. Not much of a day brightener though, is it? What can we do to change this? I know....let's talk Charmaine into running for President!

Jodi said...

Really good blog. I had read this at some time but never saw the time table spelled out like that before.

Interesting especially now that Senator Obama has referred to those against his "Spread the Wealth" ideas as being selfish.

Like Tory, I am so very thankful that God is in control. Yes, I must follow the leading of the Holy Spirit and do what I know is right, but I don't have to worry. I also don't have to take offense to those who are opposed to my ideas. The truth of "Trust and Obey!"

Thank you, Lord!

And...

My Charmaine Vote...

is yes!

:)Jodi

Nicky said...

Prayer, coffee, chocolate, friends...and koolaid (yay, red dye # whatever).

Amen about not taking offense to those who are opposed to my ideas! Too much anxiety. Stand for what you believe in and move in that direction. If other people want to move towards the koolaid line...well then...

Charmaine already has the job that the Lord called her to do. I would love to see someone humble, chivalrous, annointed, intellegent, and just in our presidency. If they could only clone Ronald Reagan...

Hope you are all having a great weekend.

smooch

Charmaine said...

Awww... taken down to reality just after being nominated!!

Seriously, someday (post-child-raising, post-getting-the-good- education-I-missed-the-first-time) I do hope to involve myself in standing for good in a more active way. I've always thought that waaaay later (like in my 50s or something) I'll be lobbying or working for a Christian organization or involved in state-level politics.

But who knows what God has in store. I He uses me "just" to prepare the next generation to keep the faith and stand for truth -- I will be thrilled!

Nicky said...

I believe that you would be good at all those things, C. I'll be there right next to you, if we still have those rights. Perhaps we will be part of the next Great Awakening. How exciting would that be????

smooch