October 13, 2008

Look at my face. Do I look Happening?

The Happening
Before we get into the Movie Quotes for the week, I feel it my duty to do a short movie review on Midnight Shammy's newest addition to his mostly brilliant collection of films. I was highly disappointed in this film. The cinematography was beautiful. The actors, as usual were top notch. The love story was simple and easy to cheer for. These three elements have been the icing on the cake for the majority of his films, the cake being a delicious meld of plot twists and character development. No plot twist here. No character development, as most of the characters commit suicide before your eyes, before you really get to know them. Goody! John Leguizamo's acting was stellar, as usual, but again, he sat in the middle of the road and sliced his wrist open with a jagged piece of glass debris, as I numbly watched. Goody! At one point in the film, a man turns on a huge, industrial size sod mower and lays down in front of it. Goody! Marky Mark (Sorry, he'll always be Marky Mark to me.) gave a sub par performance most of the movie, but then he really wasn't given much to work with either. His character, Elliot Moore, had some token dialogue 2/3rds through the movie, at which time I became hopeful that the film was turning. It was - in a downward slope from bad to horrible. Also, traditionally, M. Night Shyamalan makes a cameo appearance in his films. He appears, in voice only, as an adulterer, calling on the phone. Again, goody! This film leaves you feeling hopeless and there is no redemption. I rate this movie two thumbs and an ugly big toe DOWN!

smooch

3 comments:

Tory said...

Sorry to hear that you didn't like the movie, but I appreciate you warning me. I have liked M's work marginally, but he is definitely not my most favorite. This just saves me a few bucks. ;)

Happy Camper said...

Nicky-
First off I will agree with you about the movie...but I mostly wanted to tell you that I am amazed at your blog! Your pics are great..what beautiful kids...and you are a wonderful writer! You should write a book!! Seriously! I found your blog while looking for Annie's. She did a great job at my church teaching couponing!! Your poetry is amazing!! I am impressed!!
Your sis's sis-n-law,
Myra

Nicky said...

Thank you, Myra. I just got on here to see if I could pull myself out of a little writing slump I'm in...block block block

I'm looking forward to seeing your blog soon